Film Acting Workshops
Focus on Film [intermediate]
Scene Study in Performance
Advancing the Camera Relationship
FYI, OUR STUDIO "RULES":
WE ARE PROUD to offer one of the best physical set-ups anywhere for our acting students.
OK, there are a few basic rules for acting classes in general and our studio in particular.
* No shoes please in our studio! [So socks or bare feet are the "style".] You will sometimes work on the floor.
* Dress comfortably and casually. We strive to keep the space comfortable and we are air-conditioned. But it seems that studios and theatres always seem to be a bit too warm or too cold, so be prepared.
* Class always begins ON TIME. You should phone ASAP if you are going to be late or if you will miss a class.
* No food or drink other than water anywhere in the studio building.
*An actor should always bring pencil or pen, and a notebook or journal to any class or rehearsal.
* For weekend workshops please bring enough cash to go out for a light lunch in the neighbourhood. [We always close at lunchÖ Ö Usually a chance for a fun chat with some of your classmates, informal networking etc.]
* Your focus and your attention to others are a critical part of your work in any acting class or rehearsal; so please TURN OFF YOUR TECHNOLOGY [no phones, Blackberries, tablets, text messaging during class... as if we needed to say that.]
Thanks for caring about the studio environment.
For students in our Scene Study or Film Scene classes here are some general actor/scene guidelines!
Sears and Switzer Rules of Scene Study:
Art doesnít have rulesÖ but we do! Since there is often no director or stage manager present at your rehearsals in Scene Study, here are some useful guidelines/rules for you to follow.
- Clear your calendar and make class a priority! WE CAN NOT OFFER REPLACEMENT OR MAKE-UP CLASSES... IF YOU MISS A NIGHT, YOU MISSED IT.
- RESPECT YOUR PARTNER.
Phone or message US if you are going to have to miss a class, etc.
Even if your partner canít make a class you will always have lots to do, so come!
Be aware that you are sometimes working on scenes without a supervisor, so make sure you always do your part to make the rehearsal setting safe and comfortable.
Acting is intimate work so respect each others boundaries at all times.
....and, once more, donít direct your partner!
Finally, we wrote the Toronto Association of Acting Studios Code of Ethics, so check it out!
The TAAS Code of Ethics:
- We dedicate ourselves to excellence, honourable effort, self-discipline, integrity, personal growth and development, and respect for the body, mind and soul.
- We will honour all relationships established as a coach/teacher and we will not further personal, political, or business interests at the expense of the best interests of the participants. We will avoid situations which might present a conflict of interest or reduce our ability to be objective and unbiased in our determination of the best interests of our students.
- We are responsible for delivering a high standard of professional competence.
- We strive to work in safe and appropriate situations that enhance the quality of services and support the health and safety of participants.
- We act towards professional colleagues in a manner characterized by courtesy, good faith, and respect.
- We will abstain from all forms of harassment, including sexual harassment.
- We will be realistic in the preparation of participants for performance. We will assess participants accurately and avoid encouraging expectations that are not appropriate.
- We will respect the confidentiality of information gained through the class work or offered by participants.
- We will encourage a climate of respect and mutual support among all participants.
- We support, promote and practice the concepts expressed in the Canadian Human Rights Code.
We retain your names, photos, email, postal addresses and phone numbers for three years so that we can track your class participation. We assume that as a performer you will want us to occasionally suggest your name to casting people and agents, if asked. We will also act as a confidential reference for the industry or other schools if requested. If you do NOT want us to use this information on your behalf, please let us know upon course registration.
We keep credit card information on paper file only for 12 months and will never release it to anyone else. We do not keep e-files or e-archive credit card details. Our class lists are available for scrutiny only by Canada Customs and Revenue for HST and income tax audit verifications only.
And that's all the "rules" for now..... see you in class!
David and Theresa